This carriage originally belonged to John Hancock and was in the possession of the Massachusetts Society of Colonial Dames. It was exhibited at the Dorothy Quincy Homestead in Quincy, Massachusetts. The vehicle had undergone significant change over the years and was finally mounted on sleigh runners in the late nineteenth century. There were significant problems with the non-original finish, which was damaging the original finish underneath, and we decided decided to remove the overpaint and conserve the original 1778 appearance. Reversible varnish was then applied to the repaired exterior panels to prevent them from further damage. At the same time, the deteriorated interior was conserved, with missing cushions and appointments replaced.